Friday, April 30, 2010

Dutch Queen's Day

Kandahar, Afghanistan


We've been waiting for this for weeks - Dutch Queen's Day, that is.  April 30th, yesterday.  There aren't too many milestones or events to put on your calendar, if you even kept a calendar, that is.  This one has been advertised all over KAF (Kandahar Air Force Base) for weeks.

My understanding is that the Dutch celebrate the birthday of their queen on this day.  I should have asked more questions - does the date change with the queen?  Or is it like Victoria's Day in Canada, same day every year regardless?  The Dutch still have a monarchy, so I presume it's the former.

The color orange is everywhere, the royal colors apparently.  I celebrated by getting an orange colored mango slushy.  Went well with my Dutch Stroopwafel ("Strope-vhaffel" - caramel filled waffle-like cookie).  Yes, this is a war zone.  I have to keep reminding myself.

3 comments:

  1. Love the shoe photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always did like to go Dutch Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ate so many stroopwafels when we were in the Netherlands. They are so rich. We can't say the word anymore without feeling sick!

    ReplyDelete