Thursday, June 3, 2010

Big Ray of Sunshine

Kandahar, Afghanistan

There is nothing like hitting the deck on the tarmac during a rocket attack and finding yourself face to prone face with the Secretary of the Navy.  That was me last night.

If you aren't in the military you probably have no idea what a big deal it is to have some face time with your Presidentially-appointed "big boss."  It's big, trust me.

A friend of mine from my Tulane days, Elizabeth, is the sister-in-law to Secretary Ray Mabus.  I found this out a year ago at an impromptu mini-reunion of Tulane friends.  "We'll have to arrange a meeting someday," said Elizabeth, long before I had orders to come here.

A couple of weeks ago, having forgotten this statement she made, I began to get cryptic e-mails from Elizabeth: "Where exactly are you in Kandahar?"  "What is your local cell number?"  I figured that maybe she had a friend stationed here - it's a large base.  As it turns out, she was arranging a care package delivery by none other than the Secretary of the Navy.  Ultimately the secret could not be sustained and I found out that the "Big Ray of Sunshine," as Elizabeth calls him affectionately, was arriving Wed night.

Of course I couldn't keep that a secret and told some colleagues about the mystery package and the visit. My fellow intensivist, Jon, was supposed to be promoted on Wed night to Captain - "Do you think he'd pin on my eagles?," Jon inquired.  I had no idea but I suggested we try, given he could only say no.

We arrived at the appointed time and place and saw a plane that must have been his, which rolled 200 yards down the tarmac from the place I was told to wait.  The much anticipated meeting was not to be.  The next day I found out that the package had been brought to the hospital by a smartly-dressed Marine who would only surrender it to CDR Quast.  The mystery behind the package now began to gain steam as much of the hospital now knew that the Secretary of the Navy had schlepped this box from halfway around the world to give it to me.  Was there a piece of the Arc of the Covenant in there?  The Holy Grail?  What is the deal with this package?

The package turned up late yesterday.  It was awesome, filled with Mississippi-themed treasures - pecans, Mississippi blues on cd, a Mississippi shaped chocolate, and much more... Elizabeth, who hails from Mississippi, had put a lot of thought and care into it.  And it was brought to this dusty place by none other than the former governor of Mississippi and current Secretary of the Navy, Ray Mabus.  Better than the Holy Grail.

I was still getting "feelers" on Thursday from Secretary Mabus' assistant that perhaps a return trip rendezvous was possible.  They had gone ahead to a FOB further downrange to visit Marines and Sailors and were coming through Kandahar on their way home.  I got the instructions on where to meet and when, and Jon and I waited again - Jon once again carrying his new blouse with the eagles on his collar.

We saw a plane land and an SUV picking up an important-looking group.  We hustled down the tarmac to intercept what we thought was the SECNAV's party.  As soon as he got out of the SUV we heard two rockets explode on base.  I hit the deck, looked up and saw... the big man himself, lying prone right in front of me.  When we got up, I introduced myself on our way to the closest bunker.

I could tell immediately how he got the "Big Ray of Sunshine" monniker - he was instantly engaging and genuine. One of the first things he said was "Don't you have a friend that needs to be promoted?"  So within a few minutes we were standing in a bunker, sirens going off in the background, as Jon raised his right hand and had a truly memorable promotion ceremony.

We spent about 30 minutes with Secretary Mabus.  It was like talking to an uncle or old friend.  Jon was beaming in his new blouse.  After the "ALL CLEAR" was given, the Secretary was herded onto his waiting plane and Jon and I went back to the hospital.  I was assigned to a trauma bay upon our arrival as we had seven new casualties to take care of from this latest rocket attack.  It's a rocket attack I won't soon forget.

3 comments:

  1. So awesome. What a great promotion experience--I'm sure Jon won't forget that one. I hope everyone was OK in the rocket attack, not to sound too Pollyanna-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great Tim! What a memorable experience. Sorry it ended in more trauma victims. At least it gave you something to lighten up your day a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story. It is great to find that those who we admire don't think of themselves as any better than regular "joes" like us.

    ReplyDelete