Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Post-Apocalyptic

Kandahar, Afghanistan

My new Dutch friend, Oskar, remarked that "it is post-Apocalyptic."  He was referring to how the base looked as we were doing our early morning run.  A fine mist of orange dust has settled in over Kandahar.  There is no wind, so you can't call it a dust storm.  Ambient light is dim and orange.  It is quiet, like when the snow falls, but not as soothing.  There are no jets taking off, as they typically do at this time of day - I am sure they are grounded for safety reasons.  You can't even see a city block's distance.  If I were a ship I would drop anchor.  Smart people are wearing bandanas.  Guess I am not so smart today.  After our run I wipe the fine particulate dust off my face.  I look like a ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment