Monday, March 22, 2010

"Best Care Anywhere"

Kandahar, Afghanistan



"Best Care Anywhere" is the motto here at ROLE 3 Kandahar.  I know this to be true because it is on our patch that we are supposed to wear on our Army camouflage uniform.

Yesterday two of our patients, both Afghani nationals, died of their wounds.  The first was a 16 year old boy who had a head-on collision while driving a motorcycle, unhelmeted of course.  I had to declare him dead, something I would not wish on anyone.  Prior to his passing we rotated his bed so that he was facing Mecca, as is customary.  Our translator chanted verses from the Koran.

The second Afghani was a soldier who was hit by a rocket propelled grenade.  He was declared dead on arrival.  I have so much respect for the Afghani soldiers - they suffer much, and one does not read about this.  There are many Afghanis fighting side by side with us and our NATO colleagues.  I find comfort in this, knowing that someday they will be able to defend their own country.

Today has been better than yesterday - so far.  About 2 hours ago we received four casualties in the trauma bay.  Another MRAP hit by an IED, only this time the vehicle behind the MRAP was struck - a fuel carrying vehicle.  The trauma bay reeked of fuel as they were wheeled in.  I took my position with Corey, my running mate, between the two primary trauma bays.  As our predecessors told us, we are "line b*tches:"  we put central lines into the trauma victims between primary and secondary trauma surveys, a half centimeter diameter straw into the femoral vein in the groin.  We will also put in chest tubes and intubate (place a breathing tube) into these patients when needed, although this is generally done by the surgeons or anesthesiologists.   Everyone has their role in the trauma bay by design.  I don't mind being a line b*tch.  Today the victims were lucky, only suffering fairly minor orthopedic injuries.

When trauma victims reach the ward or ICU they receive a hand sewn wounded soldier's quilt.  These have been made lovingly by women from the heartland of the USA, having taken dozens of hours each I am sure.  Keep it up ladies, they are appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. hey Q,
    can you tell me where I can find the website for the quilt makers? Love the blog, keep it up. I am sending your blog to a friend in the neighborhood. Her son is going back to Afghanistan for a 2nd, maybe 3rd tour. He will be down south somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Al --
    the organization is called Quilts of Valor Foundation and they are at www.qovf.org. Thanks for circulating the blog and give my best to your friend and her son. The serial tours are hard but these guys are STRONG. If he comes through Kandahar please give him my contact info. Best, Q

    ReplyDelete