Thursday, January 28, 2010

Getting to know you, getting to know all about you

Norfolk, VA


We are finishing up our time here in Norfolk - today we got gas masks, for that "just in case" moment.  You don't hear much about chem-bio-radiologic warfare in Afghanistan, but I suppose with al Queda and the Taliban anything is possible.

We will be traveling in groups of about 30 to various destinations - Ft Lewis, WA for me, Ft Dix, NJ for my colleague from Bethesda and future ICU co-worker Corey Carter.  Others go to Ft Bliss (I cannot believe the serendipity of that name), TX, as well as other destinations.  We will stick with our 30 man crew "like glue" - everyone, regardless of rank or gender goes to and through the same places and evolutions.  I do believe we will get to know each other rather well after 4 weeks in a barracks, tent, shooting on the range and so on.

I have so far met several of the ICU nurses, all from various Naval hospitals around the globe:   Jacksonville, FL,  Okinawa,  Japan,  Camp Pendleton, CA, and  Sigonella, Sicily.  I have also met our head surgeon who has been on a few of these deployments already - very easy guy to get along with.  Even though we only tangentially know one another, it already seems as though we have a sense of mission and are all pretty stoked to get downrange to start our jobs.  I can only imagine the esprit de corps will grow over the next 4 weeks or so.

2 comments:

  1. The Q in the plastic bubble! My ex colleague Andy Brown and I had the all you can eat meat sticks at the Dehli Ramada and on the way back to the UK, Andy stated that over Afghanistan he unleashed his own weapon of mass destruction in the business class lavatory. You may need the suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure the mask works against odors, Steve! Just nasty chemicals, toxins and other life-threatening things. Then again, the word "meat stick" has life threatening connotations... best, Q

    ReplyDelete