Sunday, January 24, 2010

On your mark, get set, go!

And so my turtle and hare odyssey begins - I head for the airport in a few minutes.  I expect to be in Afghanistan in, oh, about 40 days.

Spent the day yesterday at Chuck E Cheese at my 5 year old's birthday - what sentient adult wouldn't want to spend their last free Saturday for several months with Mr. Cheese!!?

Actually it was cathartic in a way: the parents who came were - like so many others in the recent past - full of "atta boys" and other words of support.  I really do think times have changed since the days when my dad went to Viet Nam.  Our mission is a lot different these days as well - I have many Navy friends and colleagues currently healing the injured down in Haiti aboard the USS Comfort.  I will also be treating local Afghani men, women, and children once I arrive at my destination.  (Around the ides of March - I am the hare.)

No comments:

Post a Comment