Saturday, January 30, 2010

Socked in at Norfolk Naval Base

Norfolk, VA

I should be in the air right now, or being laid over in Chicago, on my way west.  We were on the receiving end of one of those "once every 25 years" type of snowstorms, which was originally forecasted to leave 12 inches, but big drifts and driving winds.  We're definitely getting that, and it's bitter outside.

Corey, my colleague from Bethesda, and I just walked about a half mile to try to find something to eat that would not fit into a vending machine.  On the way back we slogged through 2 feet snow drifts which are the consistency of birthday cake.  I felt like Beck Weathers from Into Thin Air by the time we got back.  It's nasty out there.

Right now we have a logistician's worst nightmare on our hands.  I'm sure it will turn out fine, but in the military we like accountability and order.  We have about 150 people from different commands who have completed one week of training, scheduled to go to about 6 different locations in groups of about 30.  Some are supposed to travel by bus, some by commercial air, some by military air.  There is no "recall bill" which would allow a phone-tree type of thing, at least one was never initiated for this group (should've thought of that!).  My commercial plane has been cancelled and rescheduled twice, so I am at this moment supposed to leave here on Sunday, tomorrow, for Seattle.  We shall see about that - we are right in this snowstorm's wheelhouse as I write this.

2 comments:

  1. It's fun down here in Virginia, ain't it!! It sure is perty today though. We got about 13 inches in Charlottesville. Safe travels to WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hope you made it to Seattle!

    ReplyDelete